Alternative Shelter Rental Requirements
Criteria for “Alt” Rental by Resident Hosts
The following standards will be considered criteria for application and operation of an Alternative Shelter (“Alt”) Rental as a use similar to a campground.
- Campground use is permitted in the Rural Living (RL) zone with a Conditional Use Permit and within the Agricultural and Resource Conservation zones with a Minor Use or Conditional Use Permit. Permitting information is below.
Alternative structures operating as a short-term rental without a valid county permit are subject to fines up to $1,000 per day.
- A Conditional Use Permit application is an * Actual Cost application that requires a deposit of $14,120.
- A Minor Use Permit application is an *Actual Cost application that requires a deposit of $7,220.
- All Projects are subject to CEQA review.
- Both a Minor Use Permit and a Conditional Use Permit require a public hearing.
- Additional requirements for filing a conditional use or minor use permit can be found on the Project Information Sheet.
*Actual cost application means staff time is charged to the account and may require additional deposits.
The Alternative Shelters use permit is filed online using our EZOP permitting system. The CUP and MUP permits fall under the Project application. If you are new to EZOP, please review the links below to get started.
If you have any questions, please contact the Alt Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org